Before you come | University of Gdańsk

Before you come

Dear candidate,

Before we welcome you as a student of our University please make sure you bring the following documents with you:

  1. Obtained diplomas / certificates:
    • Documents for Bachelor Course:
      • legalized original or copy of your Secondary School Certificate
        - containing confirmation that you are entitled to apply for admission to tertiary studies at any type of higher education institutions in the country in whose educational system includes the issuing institution (to be issued by the Polish Consulate or educational authorities in the country of school certificate issue)
    • Documents for Master Course:
      • the original of your Bachelor Diploma – validated by the Polish Consulate of the issuing country (if the country signed the Hague Convention dated 5 October 1961 – the Diploma needs to have an apostille appearing on the original or attached to it)
      • University transcript (or any other document outlining the course of studies)
      • Secondary School Certificate
  2. Health certificate stating that you are fit to study/ fit for university admission
  3. Insurance or a declaration that you will get yourself insured for the time of your studies

Documents for a RESIDENCE CARD (you will need to apply for it before your visa expires):

  • Birth certificate
  • Certificate of no criminal record in your country

 **PLEASE NOTE: to apply for a Residence Card you will need to provide, among other documents, a registration document. For the students who apply for a room in a student dormitory – this document will be provided by the University. Those who decide to live outside the campus will have to obtain such document on their own.


First year students of Bachelor studies from countries that are not party to the Hague Covention of 5 October 1961 (the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents) are obliged to have their Secondary School Certificate recognized by the Province Education Superintendent (kurator oświaty). For the list of countries party to the Hague Convention click here.

Documents required: 

  1. Application for recognition
  2. Certificate – with apostille or legalized:

original of the certificate or its duplicate or notarized copy with apostille placed on or attached to the document, if the certificate was issued by a state which is a party to the Hague Convention or

legalised original of the certificate or its duplicate – if the certificate was issued by a state which is not a party to the Hague Convention

  1. Documents to be appended if the certificate does not contain information about the course of education:
    1. a list of grades received in the course of examinations required for completing the school or educational institution or the given stage of the educational program;
    2. a list of subjects and other classes completed in the course of the given stage of education, along with the grades received;
    3. information on the completed curriculum pertaining to the contents thereof, the planned duration of tuition as well as the grade scale applied;
    4. information on the conferred entitlements to continue education at an appropriate level in the state in the education system of which the given certificate was issued, including the entitlements to apply for admission to a higher education program as well as on the scope of the entitlements in question.

The documents mentioned in 3 a-d should be issued or confirmed by the school or educational institution which issued the certificate or by educational authorities of the state on whose territory or in whose educational system the certificate was issued.

Make sure you have all of the documents above translated into Polish by a sworn translator, preferably one from the list by the Minister of Justice of the Republic of Poland, or:

- a person registered as a sworn translator in any EU, OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) or EEA (European Economic Area) member state, or

- the consul of the Republic of Poland having jurisdiction with respect to the state in the territory of which, or in the education system of which, the given certificate was issued, or

-a diplomatic representative or consular office of the state in the territory of which, or in the education system of which, the given certificate was issued, accredited in the Republic of Poland