You are here
Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies in Mathematical Modelling (IDSMM)
Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Informatics
Webpage of the Faculty: http://www.mfi.ug.edu.pl/
Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies in Mathematical Modelling (IDSMM) prepare for acquisition of the scientific degree of Doctor of Science in the field of mathematics or physics.
Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies in Mathematical Modelling are lead in full-time mode and last for 8 semesters.
The new Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies in Mathematical Modelling are offered in the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Informatics of the University of Gdansk.
The new Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies in Mathematical Modelling at the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Informatics of the University of Gdańsk provide a unique chance to work on the topics where mathematics meets other sciences (like biology, physics, chemistry, etc). Here you can test how abstract ideas may be applied to model the real-life problems. The model of the studies is developed in the cooperation with Ghent University (Belgium), sharing its huge scientific experience in applied mathematics. The studies offer 10 different topics to choose from - topics that are supposed to turn into 10 PhD theses promoted by the specialists in the applications of mathematics. Studies are conducted entirely in the English language.
The aims of the IDSMM program include promoting interdisciplinary research in the field of mathematical sciences and enabling a high level of doctoral training in conducting scientific research. This course of study provides opportunities for achieving the following:
- conducting independent scientific research, including outside of the unit that is running the program;
- promoting scientific cooperation in research teams, including international teams—this is possible thanks to the course being conducted in English;
- preparing at least one scientific publication that is accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed, scientific journal of international standing, or in peer-reviewed international scientific conference proceedings;
- the program includes required classes, electives, and internships;
- preparing for doctoral examinations;
- preparing a doctoral dissertation with the supervisor or the assistant supervisor;
- participating in the scientific community in Poland and abroad.