fbpx Recruitment | University of Gdańsk | Uniwersytet Gdański


2018, February 19 - 2:19pm


Persons can be admitted to doctoral studies who have a diploma/degree certifcate or other document certifying that they have completed studies abroad, which is recognized, according to the regulations governing the nostrification of foreign diplomas/degree certificates or on the basis of international agreement, as equal to a Polish diploma certifying the completion of second-cycle studies or long-cycle Master’s degree studies. Diplomas are also recognized of states of the EU, the OECD, and EFTA (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Spain, Holland, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Latvia, Malta, Mexico, Germany, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, USA, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, Hungary, UK, Italy).

With reference to necessary documents for candidates, the Ordinance of the Minister of Education and Science, from September 1, 2011, relating to the nostrification of foreign university diplomas/degree certificates (Journal of Laws no. 196, item 1168) also applies.

In addition to the above, the candidate must  submit the following documents:

  1.  The original of the diploma/degree certificate acquired abroad (in the case of non-Polish citizens, this should be legalized or bear an apostille).
  2. A photocopy of the school-leaving certificate, high-school diploma, matura certificate, or diploma certifying the completing of higher education, on the basis of which the candidate was admitted to the studies which were completed with the issue of the foreign diploma/degree certificate which the candidate wishes to be recognized.  
  3.  A declaration that the foreign diploma has not previously been the subject of any nostrification procedures at any Polish university.

A person applying to be accepted to doctoral studies may be exempted from nostrification procedures if he/she possesses a university diploma/degree certificate:

  1. issued by an authorized institution operating within the education system of EU member states, Switzerland, states belonging to EFTA (parties to the European Economic Area Agreement), or  states that are parties to the Convention relating to recognition of qualifications certifying completion of higher education in the European region, drawn up in Lisbon on April 11, 1997;         
  2. entitling the holder to apply for doctoral studies or to open doctoral proceedings in the state in which it was acquired.

In such a situation the candidate must submit to the appropriate Faculty Council (Rada Wydziału):

  1. an application to be exempted from the nostrification procedure;
  2. certification issued by the appropriate education authorities or appropriate diplomatic or consular representation of a state of the EU, Switzerland, or an EFTA member state (party to the European Economic Area Agreement), or an appropriate consul of the Polish Republic, confirming that the diploma in question does entitle the holder to apply for admission to doctoral studies in the country in which it was acquired.     

If it's necessary the candidate must submit those documents mentioned in Appendix 2 to the Resolution of the University of Gdańsk Senate relating  to admission of candidates for third-cycle full-time and part-time studies (doctoral studies) at the University of Gdańsk which are valid for the appropriate academic year.

For more details please contact with director of doctoral study which you are interested in:

  phone number e-mail
Life Sciences and Mathematics Interdisciplinary Doctoral Studies +48 58 523 63 21 dziekanat.doktoranci@biotech.ug.edu.pl
English Language Part-Time Doctoral Studies in Economics +48 58 523 11 17 phdeconomics@ug.edu.pl
+48 58 523 20 27 dziekmf@ug.edu.pl
Doctoral (PhD) Studies in Law in English   m.barczewski@prawo.ug.edu.pl