You are here
UG students victorious in Oxford debate during the European Financial Congress
On 15 June 2016 in the State Art Gallery in Sopot an open Oxford debate took place on the motion “The European Union will collapse within the next five years”. The role of marshall was taken by Grzegorz Nawrocki, President of the British Alumni Society.
The teams consisted of the following:
In favour of the motion:
· Jan Farfał (University College London)
· Aleksandra Wiśniewska (London School of Economics)
· Karol Kraś (London School of Economics)
· Krzysztof Pałucki (University of Oxford)
· And in the role of expert − Dr Renata Mieńkowska-Norkiene (Institute of Political Science, University of Warsaw).
Against the motion:
· Łukasz Perenc (Warsaw School of Economics SGH)
· Robert Duczyński (Warsaw School of Economics SGH)
· Błażej Dobek (Faculty of Management, University of Gdańsk)
· Jakub Plebański (Faculty of Law and Administration, University of Gdańsk)
· With support by the expert – Stefan Kawalec (Chairman of the Board, Capital Strategy).
On the council of wise men:
· Stacy Ligas (Partner, Head of Financial Services Audit, Head of Financial Services in Poland and CEE, KPMG)
· Prof. UG, Dr hab. Leszek Pawłowicz (originator of the European Financial Congress).
After a hard-fought debate, a public vote was held in which a significant majority sided with the opposition. We congratulate both teams on the quality of the debate. Personal congratulations go to Dr Kamila Bielawska and Dr Adam Barembruch who oversaw our students’ preparations.