Antarctic expedition Funding
The FINWAP project “Comprehensive assessment of a fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus) high-density area along the West Antarctic Peninsula” has received funding.
The applicants were Dr Helena Herr, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Institute for Terrestrial and Aquatic Wildlife Research (ITAW); Dr Anna Panasiuk, University of Gdańsk, Institute of Oceanography; Dr Simone Panigada, Tethys Research Institute, Milan, Italy.
Length / Date of expedition: 32 days / February – March 2019
Tasks of the project coordinator, Dr Anna Panasiuk: research into the abundance and distribution of krill in the study area.
Krill samples will be collected by means of trawl nets in the study area in order to:
- identify species diversity of krill,
- estimate species-specific krill abundance and distribution in the water column,
- model spatial distribution of krill species in the study area,
- analyse the population structure of krill,
- understand the relationships between distribution and density of different krill species.
The map indicates the study area including transect design for visual survey and 41 stations for krill trawls and CTD samples. Small boat operations will be conducted on an opportunistic basis upon encounter of suitable fin whale groups along the track of the visual survey.
The expedition has been assigned 87,580 Euro and will be conducted on board the RV Maria S. Merian.