Polish Linguistic Society Convention
On 17-18 September 2018 the Faculty of Languages of the University of Gdańsk hosted the 76th Convention of the Polish Linguistic Society, which brought together outstanding Polish scientists. The convention centred around the theme of "Linguistic contacts: history and the present day”.
The convention was ceremonially opened by Deputy Mayor of Gdańsk Piotr Kowalczuk and speakers included the Vice-Rector for Development Prof. Dr hab. Krzysztof Bielawski and the Dean of the Faculty of Languages Dr hab. Maciej Michalski, associate professor. The Chairman of the Management Board of the Polish Linguistic Society, Prof. Dr hab. Piotr Stalmaszczuk thanked the UG authorities and the Faculty’s Dean for their financial support. The sessions were headed by Dr hab. Katarzyna Wojan, associate professor from the Institute of Scandinavian Studies at the UG’s Faculty of Languages.
During plenary sessions lectures were delivered by employees of the University of Gdańsk:
- Prof. Dr hab. Grażyna Łopuszańska, Socjolingwistyczne determinanty powstania urbanolektu Gdańska - Danziger Missingsch / Sociolinguistic determinants of the origins of the Danzig urbanolect, the Danziger Missingsch,
- Dr hab. Katarzyna Wojan, associate professor, Kontakty językowe w Finlandii / Linguistic contacts in Finland.
Honorary patrons of the convention were:
- Rector of the University of Gdańsk, Dr hab. Jerzy Piotr Gwizdała, associate professor,
- Mayor of the City of Gdańsk Paweł Adamowicz,
- Marshal of the Pomeranian Voivodeship Mieczysław Struk,
- Gdańsk Scientific Society,
- Linguistic Committee of the Polish Academy of Sciences,
- Foundation for the Development of the University of Gdańsk.
- Gazeta Uniwersytecka Społeczności Akademickiej Uniwersytetu Gdańskiego,
- Radio Mors,
- Zatoka Nauki.
Organising committee for the convention:
- Dr hab. Katarzyna Wojan, associate professor – Chair,
- Dr Krystyna Data – Vice-Chair,
- Marta Noińska M.A. – Secretary,
- Dr hab. Żanna Sładkiewicz, associate professor,
- Dr Ewa Konefał,
- Dr Wanda Stec,
- Karolina Wielądek M.A.