STRATEGY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF GDAŃSK FOR 2020 - 2025
Appendix to Resolution No. 155/19 of the Senate of the University of Gdańsk of 28 November 2019
Table of contents
- THE METHODOLOGY FOR DEVELOPING THE STRATEGY, MONITORING ITS IMPLEMENTATION AND REPORTING
- STRATEGIC CARDS (INTERNAL DOCUMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF GDAŃSK)
The mission of the University of Gdańsk is to provide the highest level of education, conduct highest quality research, shape civic attitudes, participate in social development and contribute to building the innovation-based economy.
The University of Gdańsk is a modern university which was founded in 1970 on the Baltic Sea coast and its motto is: "In mari via tua". Autonomy, creativity and commitment to the development of the highest quality education and improvement of scientific research combined with respect for tradition and care for the integration of the scientific environment with the business environment constitute the recognizable brand of the University of Gdańsk in Poland, Europe and around the world.
The University of Gdańsk aspires to the status of a research university which actively participates in the development of scientific culture nationally and internationally, which is managed through values, promotes interdisciplinary scientific communication, cooperation and creative involvement, and builds the academic community.
The University of Gdańsk is open to all those who are willing to engage, creatively commit and share their knowledge to strengthen its rank, contribute to the prosperity of the academic community and the common good.
The guiding values of the University of Gdańsk include the rational pursuit of truth while following the best examples of world science and modern education for socio-economic development. Social dialogue conducted in a spirit of mutual respect, trust and tolerance for a diversity of views is crucial in developing knowledge, building relationships and solving the problems of the academic community. Intellectual values are created and communicated at the University of Gdańsk with respect for freedom of speech and conscience, freedom of teaching, freedom of scientific research and freedom of artistic creativity.
4. The methodology for developing the Strategy, monitoring its implementation and reporting
The strategic and operational objectives and activities proposed in the UG Strategy for 2020-2025 related to the implementation of the vision of the University of Gdańsk as a research university have been developed based on the Balanced Scorecard and the analysis of the internal and external environment of the University (SWOT analysis) carried out in strategic workshops and dialogue with the representatives of the academic community.
Specific action plans have been proposed. The progress in their implementation will be monitored with strategic cards (internal documents of the University of Gdańsk) containing the description of activities, the indication of entities responsible for their implementation, deadlines and potential sources of obtaining funds necessary for their implementation. Each of the measures has been assigned measurable indicators for monitoring implementation progress in terms of particular objectives and the whole Strategy of the University of Gdańsk.
Under the provisions of the Act - Law on Higher Education and Science, the Rector is responsible for implementing the Strategy. The progress of the Strategy implementation at the University of Gdańsk will be periodically monitored by the Rector's Council at the strategic level and Project Team Managers for specific project activities and tasks at the operational level.
In order to develop a system for monitoring progress in the implementation of the Strategy, all proposed activities are divided into project-related and process-related ones. Due to the complexity of the planned projects, some of the activities are mixed (project/process). These activities are divided into tasks for easier monitoring of progress in their implementation.
For project-related activities, tasks (sub-projects) are planned that lead to the achievement of milestones within the entire activity. Individual sub-projects have indicators for the assessment of the degree of compliance with schedule and degree of implementation, modification or withdrawal from the implementation (substantively justified) of a given task under specific action after the completion of the project works and depending on the results of mid-term reports.
For procedural activities aimed at achieving individual milestones, indicators for verifying their implementation will be proposed.
Monitoring based on the observation of the evident progress of the implemented measures will aim at minimizing any deficiencies and will contribute to taking corrective actions if necessary. Monitoring will involve document analysis (e.g. mid-term reports, list of monitored indicators, etc.) including the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, reflecting the extent the Strategy implementation.
The collected documents will be verified by each Project Team on an ongoing basis during the implementation of the project and at a higher level - periodically, and after the end of the project - by the Rector's Council. Deadlines for the delivery of necessary documents by employees of individual UG units and members of Project Teams will be specified. Ongoing monitoring of progress will assess whether the project is being implemented in line with the assumptions adopted at the planning stage. The compliance of works carried out with the planned schedule will also be monitored.
All of the above will enable the Rector of the University of Gdańsk to prepare periodic reports on the implementation of the Strategy for the University and Senate Council, under the provisions of the Act - Law on Higher Education and Science, under which the implementation of the University Strategy is subject to reporting. Mid-term reports on the implementation of the UG Strategy and feedback from the University and Senate Council will be the basis for verifying the degree of the Strategy's implementation and its potential update.
5. STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES
The implementation of the vision of the University of Gdańsk as a research university which actively participates in the development of scientific culture in the national and international dimension will involve four strategic objectives, covering all components of the University's mission: education, research, mutual relations with the socio-economic environment, and effective University management. As a result, the implementation of the Strategy will proceed in a sustainable manner fostering the harmonious development of the University in all key areas.
- THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF UNIVERSITY EDUCATION
- THE HIGHEST QUALITY IN RESEARCH AND INNOVATION
- OPENNESS, SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND COMMITMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY
- THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF EFFICIENCY IN UNIVERSITY MANAGEMENT
5.1. THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF UNIVERSITY EDUCATION
The first of the strategic objectives will be achieved through the implementation of four operational goals and a number of activities contributing to the comprehensive support for the education process, equipping students and doctoral students with modern knowledge supporting innovative potential as well as skills and competencies necessary to cope in life and professional career.
The University aspires to offer education which fosters open-mindedness in students and graduates, who can find their place in a changing world, can take on far-reaching challenges and are aware of their social role, regional identity and national ties.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVE 1.
THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF UNIVERSITY EDUCATION
OPERATIONAL OBJECTIVES AND ACTIONS
 EDUCATION QUALITY IMPROVEMENT THROUGH EFFICIENT USE OF THE UNIVERSITY POTENTIAL AND DEVELOPMENT OF COOPERATION WITH THE ENVIRONMENT
- Development of interdisciplinary education.
- Development of cooperation with the socio-economic environment in the field of education, including inviting lectures or workshops of eminent practitioners particularly from the world of business.
- Extending the scope of educational services, taking into account the demand of the economy, students' and candidates' needs and enabling lifelong learning (also outside the undergraduate and graduate studies).
- Development of education in the scope of foreign languages - all UG students can learn at least two foreign languages.
- Development of transferrable skills of all recipients of the UG educational offer based on international principles of RRI (Responsible Research and Innovation) and HR Excellence in Research.
[ 2] INCREASE IN THE QUALITY AND EXTENT OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION
- Development of international cooperation and exchange, particularly in new technologies.
- Intensification of international transfer of knowledge and experience.
- Development of the competence of the UG staff and students aimed at shaping a university friendly to foreign students.
 USE OF MODERN TECHNOLOGIES IN THE EDUCATION PROCESS
- Developing skills in using modern equipment and software.
- Implementation of new teaching methods and tools, particularly tutoring, improving lecture methods, teaching online.
- Continuous evaluation of educational methods.
 DEVELOPING SYSTEM SUPPORT FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
TO OFFER FULL ACCESS TO THE UG EDUCATIONAL OFFER
- Continuing to adapt teaching methods to the needs of people with disabilities (development of a digital service workshop).
- Psychological and pedagogical support for academic teachers, administration in the form of training or psychological workshops.
- Adaptation of infrastructure to the needs of people with disabilities (further elimination of architectural and infrastructure barriers).
- Support of the Office for People with Disabilities.
- Implementation of the assistant service model.
5.2. THE HIGHEST QUALITY IN RESEARCH AND INNOVATION
The University of Gdańsk aspires to the status of a research university. The four operational objectives defined and described below along with specific actions are designed to lead to comprehensive support for unfettered, in-depth and creative exploration of the research space in terms of cognition and application and strengthen the participation of scientists of our University in solving significant socio-economic problems on a national and international basis.
The planned system solutions are designed to intensively support scientists of our University in both individual and team activities, in particular in interdisciplinary and international activities.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVE 2.
The highest quality in research and innovation
OBTAINING THE RESEARCH UNIVERSITY STATUS
OPERATIONAL OBJECTIVES AND ACTIONS
IMPROVING, INTENSIFYING AND IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF RESEARCH IN PARTICULAR THROUGH INCREASING INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION AND EXCHANGE OF KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND GOOD PRACTICE IN PRIORITY RESEARCH AREAS
- Increasing the number of publications in international journals and open access publications (including the interdisciplinary ones).
- Increasing the number and frequency of foreign internships.
- Increasing the degree of internationalization of the University in scientific research and education of doctoral students.
- Monitoring the organizational and financial ability to maintain International Research Agendas.
- Implementation of the organizational support program for foreign scientists wishing to carry out scientific research at the University of Gdańsk.
- Improving the management of scientific projects.
INCREASING THE POSITION OF THE UNIVERSITY IN EVALUATION AND INTERNATIONAL CLASSIFICATION
- Hosting events of European and global importance and as part of conferences with significant media impact and preferably interdisciplinary nature.
- Development and implementation of the program of employing the most outstanding graduates of doctoral schools in research positions.
- Supporting units in undertaking initiatives aimed at adapting their activity to the institutional assessment criteria and national and international rankings.
- Increasing the number and frequency of foreign internships with care for sustainable development of men's and women's careers.
- Increasing the number and scope of international research projects while ensuring care for the balanced development of women's and men's careers.
- Multilevel promotion and dissemination of the scientific achievements of the University of Gdańsk implemented through promoting and marketing in a variety of forms and media.
ACHIEVING A LEADING POSITION IN PRIORITY RESEARCH AREAS
- Conducting intensive activities to achieve the status of a research university.
- Organizational and financial support for the University of Gdańsk of the greatest international impact.
- Network scientific cooperation as part of "European University of the Seas, SEA-EU".
- Maintaining the position of academic leader in the country in the field of coordination of strategic research in the Baltic Sea area, including institutional support for UG participation in the National Center for Baltic Research and increasing the scope of cooperation with partner units in the field of sea research.
 EXTENDING STUDIES FOCUSED ON COOPERATION WITH THE SOCIO-ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- Increasing the number and scope of application-focused research.
- Support for the transfer of scientific research effects to business and economy, patenting and commercialization of findings.
- Implementation of joint research ventures with social institutions and business units.
- Maintaining contacts with UG graduates in order for the academic community to cooperate with the representatives of the socio-economic environment.
5.3. OPENNESS, SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND COMMITMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY
The University of Gdańsk aspires to be an open, socially responsible and engaged university. These ambitions will be implemented through creating and strengthening the relationship between the University and society via new forms of cooperation and equipping graduates with a range of key competencies that meet the needs of the state economy and market, involve dissemination and expansion of national and universal cultural property as an important attribute of national and European identity.
Achieving these intentions will foster the implementation of activities included in the four operational objectives and specific activities presented below.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVE 3.
OPENNESS, SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AND COMMITMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY
OPERATIONAL OBJECTIVES AND ACTIONS
 DEVELOPMENT OF THE COLLABORATION OF THE UNIVERSITY WITH SOCIAL
AND ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- Systemic support of academic entrepreneurship, support of the Academic Business Incubator launching spin-off companies.
- Development and implementation of the institutionalized university communication and cooperation platform integrated with the socio-economic environment of Poland, EU Member States and other countries.
- Activation of brokerage and support for students in searching and establishing contacts with first employers.
 DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF AN INTEGRATED SUPPORT MODEL
ACTIVITIES FOR THE DISSEMINATION OF SCIENCE AND CULTURE
- Organization and support of initiatives aimed at popularizing science in society.
- Increasing the university's expert and opinion-forming activity at the international, national and regional level including Pomerania and Kashubia.
- Organization and patronage of cultural, intercultural and artistic projects.
- Promoting and implementing actions for sustainable development.
- Active participation in national and international programs and projects related to the dissemination of Open Science (Forum of Associated Universities, Responsible Research and Innovation projects).
 DEVELOPMENT OF THE COMPLEX CONTINUOUS EDUCATION SYSTEM - OPEN UNIVERSITY
- Implementing initiatives for the education of children and youth.
- Supporting education and activation of senior citizens.
- Creating a comprehensive educational offer for professionally active people to acquire new skills ( lifelong learning).
 DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF SOCIAL INCLUSION, COUNTERACTING DISCRIMINATION AND SOCIAL INEQUALITY, AND OTHER ELEMENTS OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT POLICY
- Implementing and monitoring the implementation of the anti-discrimination policy.
- Building an academic community based on science culture equality.
- Development and implementation of a coherent system of monitoring gender equality.
- Promoting a healthy lifestyle, with particular emphasis on physical activity.
5.4. THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF EFFICIENCY IN UNIVERSITY MANAGEMENT
The fourth strategic objective has been specified in the context of three operational objectives, contributing to the University's economic stability through the effective acquisition of funds for its functioning (education, research, other forms of activity), effective resource and brand and organizational structure improvement.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVE 4.
The highest level of efficiency in University management
OPERATIONAL OBJECTIVES AND ACTIONS
 PERFORMANCE OF MECHANISMS OF OBTAINING AND USING FINANCIAL MEANS
- Actions to increase the number of research, educational and development projects supporting the development of the University of Gdańsk.
- Cooperation in research and training projects with the socio-economic environment.
- Development of mechanisms for obtaining financial resources from external donors.
- Implementation of measures ensuring an increase in budget subsidies.
- Developing a method for optimizing the running costs of the University.
 INCREASING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT AND THE EFFICIENCY OF USING THE UNIVERSITY'S RESOURCES
- Development and use of a model for transferring auxiliary functions (university guard, transport, cleaning services) to a university special purpose vehicle.
- Effective management of housing, teaching and research infrastructure.
- Expansion and improvement of the integrated IT system (implementation of mechanisms developed by the UG IT Center).
- Improving relations with various organizational units and/or levels of administration, consolidation between fields in the scope of organizational units of UG.
- Designing and starting the University Research Center on the University of Gdańsk campus.
- Construction of the University Center for Sport and Recreation.
 IMPROVING THE UNIVERSITY BRAND MANAGEMENT POLICY
- Improving the information flow system. Elimination of distributed activities.
- The development of communication with the external environment and the media, and the correct use of visual identity as an important function of creating brand value.
- Implementation of the integrated national and international UG promotion.
- Monitoring and diagnosing the image of the University.